Grid Reference NU123140
The mill building, described in the N.C.H. as “lying in a sequestered spot on the right bank of the river Aln”, is now in use as a farm store. The wheel, which was undershot, has been removed with all the gearing.
Vol. VII of the N.C.H. (1897) mentions the mill as one of the few mills still in use in the district. It finally ceased about 1925.
A family named Bellingham appeared to have had an association with Abberwick but it seems to have ended with the sale of the manorial corn mill to John Shafto, of Bavington, in 1571.
The mill is shewn in the parochial records of Edlingham in 1724/5 there being a charge of 2s on the mill to the vicarage with a clerk’s fee of 6d.
1827 William Purvis miller
1841 George Robson do.
1855 and 1887 James Shell & Sons, farmers and millers.
From: Griffith, E.P. 1974. A History of Northumberland Water Mills. Unpublished.
N.C.H. Northumberland County History